The design possibilities for this dynamic pendant are endless. Choose a classic texture and shape or a sleek modern form: you will love your pendant! The hollow construction saves clay, and you will learn how to file the edges straight and smooth. Embeddable findings provide still more variations.
Date: Friday, August 14, 2020
Time: 9am - 12pm (CST)
Instructor: Sulie Girardi
Skill Level: Intermediate Pre-requisite: some previous metal clay knowledge is helpful
Materials Kit: 20 g. fine silver metal clay, small pot of silver paste, polishing kit, embeddable findings.
- Basic metal clay tool kit: roller, 40 playing cards, scalpel/craft knife, small paintbrush, fluffy medium paintbrush, olive oil, plastic drinking straw, sanding sponges, toothpicks. Flat working surface such as a tile. Wire brush, steel or brass. Texture plates/rubber stamps if desired.
- Saranwrap/ cling film
- Art Clay or PMC3 Syringe: not absolutely necessary, but would be very helpful
- Plastic or paper template or cookie cutters for your pendant. This should be approx 2.5"x 1"
- Firing set-up (Butane torch with butane or electric kiln, soldering board or fire brick, fire tweezers) Fiber blanket or vermiculite if available to support the pendant during firing.
- Rubber-tipped clay shaper: this is important! (available at hobby stores)
- Straight salon board (nail file), also very important for this project
- If your template has tight curves you will need a round or half round straight file: a dowel covered in sandpaper is ideal.
- Small cup of water
- Saranwrap or cling film
- Rubber block or small box: this should be about 3 inches tall
- several small pieces of of non-stick, flexible material, such as a teflon reusable baking sheet. (3" by 3") Or "Tuffcards" available at Cooltools.us
- Drying arrangement of choice: such as mug warmer or food dehydrator. Additionally, a small box and hairdryer help to speed up drying after the initial drying phase.
- pin vice or small hand drill, bead reamers (both optional but very helpful)
- a pretty tassel, if desired