Classes will be conducted via Zoom
Description: In this technique-packed class consisting of two sessions, students will make a beautiful statement ring out of fine silver metal clay. The ring features a beautiful stone in an ornate setting, as well as optional ornaments above and below the stone. First, Sulie will guide you as you make the ring itself. In the second half, Kieu will show you how to add a complimentary setting to your base ring by shaping, forming and setting. Students will have some opportunity to do some custom embellishing to the setting. (Stones may vary from image.)
Materials included in price:
- PART 1: 20 g fine silver metal clay, small pot of clay paste, re-usable plastic template, small piece of fiber blanket.
- PART 2: sterling silver stock, semi-precious stone, sanding material
Zoom Date & Time:
- PART 1: Friday, January 15, 9am -12:30pm (EST)
- PART 2: Sunday, January 17, 9-12:30pm (EST)
Instructor: Sulie Girardi & Kieu Pham Gray
Skill Level: Intermediate for both parts
PART 1 Tools list:
- Basic Metal clay tool kit
- roller, 10 playing cards, scalpel, fine paintbrush, fluffy paintbrush, sanding sponges and straight salon boards (nail file) of different grits, cup of water, cup of olive oil, piece of saran wrap/cling film.
- Drying set up, such as a mug warmer, food dehydrator or kitchen oven.
- Brass or steel brush
- Texture Mats if desired
- Small molds or shotplates (optional)
- Ring Mandrel
- Ring sizer
- Scotch tape
- strip of teflex to go around the mandrel:(flexible, thin, non porous material, like a re-usable baking sheet)
- Firing set up: if possible, an electric kiln is preferable for this project.
PART 2 Tools list:
- Chain nose pliers
- Flat nose pliers
- Flush side cutters
- Nylon nose pliers
- Needle files
- Student files
- Solder kit
- Flexshaft with buffing wheels and polish for polishing
- Magnifying glasses and Ott light as needed